An effective storyboard is a vital tool for the e-Learning professionals. Almost every online course that has been regarded as successful you can find solid foundation in common. If any stable structure is not preferred while creating the e-Learning deliverable the aspects of e-Learning course would suffer. The e-Learning storyboards ensures that the creators as well as the readers are on same page. The document describes every portion of the e-Learning course with its specified texts, visuals, audios along with other interactive elements.
How To Create Effective e-Learning Storyboards?
1. For creating a storyboard you have to select the best suitable commercial application from word, PowerPoint or any other application as you can find numbers of storyboard templates in free.
2. You need to have a clear and defined goal with objectives before creating the e-Learning course. Along with the main goals you need to even define the secondary goals along with the expected results. This would certainly enhance the process of whole storyboard creation. Having a clear and transparent idea is essential to be defined. Along this you need to identify about the exact need of the learner and what they would learn from the e-Learning experience. Along this you also must figure out what is the need of acquiring the information.
3. Research is a magnificent key to create an e-Learning storyboard that would be successful. You can perform defined surveys, focus groups and step by step interviews for learning about the audiences that is possible which indeed includes their relevant educational background, professional knowledge culture and experience level along with the skill sets, these are to be included in the e-Learning course. You can also access client’s previous strategies which had been used for identifying what had worked or what had not. This could help in developing an e-Learning storyboard in an effective way.
4. Many people assume the e-Learning assessment as the final stage of the entire planning process but the actual fact is it should be the first one. You need to figure out the locations where the exams and tests are to be placed while creating a storyboard. Along this you need to figure out what type of assessment would be best suitable for the audiences and matter of subject. You need to take a look to the storyboard completely and likewise map out the knowledge checks with the summaries of lessons and the recaps of the chapters.
5. As for each of the objectives of e-Learning course you need to know, writing content would help in keeping the e-Learning storyboard with the natural flow with a deep focus on audience. You need to state the topic, explain the ideas and get focused on the key points. Along this you must be ensured to maintain the conversational tone. This can be done by the use of simple language form having short sentences and examples or any metaphors and must even give priority to ask questions. You need to consider allowing your audiences to think the situation strategy that is presented to them. Accordingly the answers are selected from the varied options and that to before moving to the next topic.
6. You have to classify the right designing elements for giving support to the e-Learning objectives. You need to assemble the learning materials which you can get from the subject matter expert and along this you need to source all information that are necessary from the clients that is required to organize the content. You need to break the contents into portions and parts for depicting it effectively into the storyboard. Then after, you can decide the sequences of the e-Learning content as it is to be accessed by the audiences. Giving title to all pages of the storyboard is a good thought. Though the final product would not feature the titles, it would help in organizing the content very easily.
7. The graphics and images, e-Learning videos, animations and lot of more elements would help the audiences for capturing the best message that is intended for getting across. You need to decide the elements of multimedia that would be incorporated into the e-Learning course. You must surely leave spaces on each of the screen spaces for the visual elements as well as the audio elements. Drawing rough sketch for noting the position of the page and adding text explanation is indeed a good practice.
8. Every screen of the storyboard includes interaction that is required to be incorporated into final design. If you require redirecting the learner towards the second module’s first screen as they click on the button then it needs to be mentioned on the storyboard.
9. You need to initiate the writing that is related to the narrative scripts after selection of the media types that are used by you. You are required to keep short and exact the screen text as it would be explained in voice over further.
10. You need to prevent the cognitive overload as the storyboard would be serving as guide for moving ahead in the process of development.
11. You need to map out the e-Learning course navigation so that it would respond to the audiences’ specific behaviors.
12. You need to include the transitions between each of the lessons as story-boarding gives the magnificent opportunity to you for planning out the detail of the e-Learning course.